Subject: Newman Center Ash Wednesday Service

From: "Lauren Savage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:39:41 -0800

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.  The Catholic Newman
Center will be holding a service at 5:00 PM in Winnett, second floor,
during which ashes will be distributed.

For those of you unfamiliar with this practice, at the end of the
normal Catholic mass on Ash Wednesday, people will line up to recieve
ashes.  The priest will make a mark in the shape of a cross out of
ashes on each person's forehead while saying, "Remember man that thou
art dust and unto dust thou shalt return."  The ashes are made from
the burnt palms from last year's Palm Sunday.  This practice signifies
repentence, which is an appropriate start to the season of Lent,
during which we repent and fast in preparation for Easter.  Anyone can
recieve ashes, but communion is only open to baptized Catholics.

(For more on Lent, go to next week's Large Group to hear Jamie's talk.)

What: Ash Wednesday Mass
Date: Wednesday, 2/21
Time: 5:00 PM
Place: 2nd Floor Winnett

Happy Fat Tuesday,
Lauren