Subject: Weekly Update for the week of January 22

From: Caltech Directory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:30:02 -0800

Caltech Weekly Update for the week of January 22, 2007

FEATURED EVENTS

   2007 SPRING CAREER FAIR
     Spring Career Fair is an informal event that gives students of all
     degree levels, as well as postdocs, the opportunity to gather
     information about companies, speak to company representatives about
     employment opportunities, and drop off resumes. For more information,
     contact the Career Development Center at [email-masked]. At 10:30
     a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 24, in Brown Gymnasium.

   NEW OFFICE-SUPPLY PRODUCTS AT THE CALTECH BOOKSTORE
     Come by the Bookstore on Wednesday, January 24, between 11:30 a.m.
     and 3 p.m. for demonstrations and giveaways of their new office-supply
     products. Free samples will be distributed, and you can pick up their
     new catalog, featuring all the supplies you need at new lower prices.

   NEWARKINONE SUPPLIER SHOW
     At 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on January 25, NewarkInOne, a key provider of
     electronic supplies, will sponsor a vendor show featuring its key
     suppliers in Bechtel Mall. NewarkInOne, Tektronix, Belden, Cooper
     Tools, Pulse, Tyco, Amphenol, and Lessing Associates (3M, Dantona
     Industries, Ideal, Shaxon, Test-Um, and Steinel) are expected to
     display their products.

   VON KARMAN LECTURE SERIES: "Two Thousand Sunsets on Mars"
     Planetary geophysicist Bruce Banerdt will present a talk entitled
     "Two Thousand Sunsets on Mars: Twin Rovers and Their Excellent
     Adventures" at 7 p.m. on January 25 in von Karman Auditorium at JPL,
     and again at 7 p.m. on January 26, in the Vosloh Forum (south of
     Colorado on Bonnie) at Pasadena City College.

   CALTECH'S JAMES HEATH SPEAKS ON NANOTECHNOLOGY AT SCIENCE CENTER
     At the California Science Center's "Science Matters" speakers'
     program entitled "Nanotechnology: Small World--Big Issues," a panel
     of experts including James Heath, Caltech's Gilloon Professor of
     Chemistry, will discuss the basics of nanotechnology, as well as its
     promising future applications, potential health and environmental
     risks, and the legal issues of this emerging field. NBC4 reporter
     Conan Nolan will serve as moderator. The program is free to the public
     and will be held in the California Science Center's IMAX Theater
     at 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, January 27.

   CHAMBER MUSIC WEEKEND, JANUARY 26-28
     Caltech Student Chamber Ensembles will present three free concerts
     in Dabney Lounge during the weekend of January 26-28. No tickets or
     reservations are required, and a free reception will follow each
     performance.
        At 8 p.m. on Friday, students will perform Schubert's "Trout"
        Quintet, as well as trios by Haydn, Beethoven, and Milhaud.
        Information: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3800.html

        Saturday's concert, also at 8 p.m., will include the "Gypsy Rondo"
        trio by Haydn, Piano Quartet No. 1 by Faure, and Brahms's Quintet
        for Clarinet and Strings.
        Information: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3801.html

        Concluding the series, at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, the ensembles will
        perform Vivaldi's Concerto for Four Violins, the "Serenade" for
        string trio by Dohnanyi, and Ravel's Piano Trio.
        Information: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3802.html

DANCE CLASSES

   BEGINNER BALLROOM
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 12:30-2:00 p.m.
     (January 7-28: Foxtrot and Samba; February 4-25: Tango & Jive)
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: FOXTROT
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: SAMBA
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   SCOTTISH COUNTRY
     Mondays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://scd.caltech.edu.

   BEGINNER HUSTLE
     Mondays, January 8 to February 26, at 8:30 to 10 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   ADVANCED-BEGINNER ARGENTINE TANGO
     Thursdays, January 11 to March 8 (except January 25),
     at 9 to 11:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

CAMPUS TRAINING & WORKSHOPS

   COUNSELING CENTER WORKSHOP:
   "SNOOZE YOUR WAY TO SUCCESS: HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SLEEP HABITS"
   Monday, January 22, noon to 1 p.m.
   Caltech Y lounge
     Tim Cunningham, lead technician at the Huntington Hospital Sleep
     Disorders Center, will explain how to identify potential problems
     with your sleeping habits, and also how you can identify possible
     sleep problems in your friends or roommates. This fun and
     informative workshop will cover the most common types of sleep
     disorders in college students and explain how to get the most
     from your sleep.

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: EXCEL 2003, LEVEL III (TWO SESSIONS)
   Wednesday, January 24, 8 a.m. to noon
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This class will teach advanced topics in Excel, including
     collaborating with others, analyzing complex data, creating macros,
     PivotTables, and PivotCharts, and more. Attendees will each receive
     a course book and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving course samples
     to their own computers. The training will continue at 8 a.m. to noon
     on January 25.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   WOMEN'S CENTER WORKSHOP: "MARS? VENUS? CULTURE AND RELATIONSHIPS"
   Wednesday, January 24, noon to 1 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second-floor common area
     Whether you and your partner were raised in different countries,
     different states, or with different religious backgrounds, you've
     probably been faced with the fact that variations in culture impact
     relationships. Athena Trentin, from Caltech's international student
     programs department, will explore differences in communication styles
     and expectations, and discuss how to overcome culture clash.
     Registration (required):
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=968152571372

   SFCC WORKSHOP: "UNDERSTANDING AND IMPROVING YOUR CREDIT REPORT"
   Wednesday, January 24, noon to 1 p.m.
   106 Spalding Lab, Hartley Memorial Seminar Room
     Joe Ciuriel, senior education presenter for ByDesign Financial
     Solutions, a nonprofit counseling agency of the Consumer Credit
     Counseling Center Service, will teach attendees what makes up a credit
     report and score; the truth about the dispute process on credit
     reports; and how to improve credit report scores.

   OFFICE ERGONOMICS TRAINING
   Wednesday, January 24, 3 to 4 p.m.
   118 Keith Spalding Building
     This course discusses ergonomic design of office environments.
     Emphasis will be placed on low-budget techniques for assisting
     computer users to alter their workstations to be more
     "user-friendly" environments.
     Reservations: 395-6727 or [email-masked]

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "ELECTRONIC THESES AND DISSERTATIONS"
   Thursday, January 25, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     This workshop will provide a brief overview of techniques useful in
     the production and publication of Caltech electronic theses. The
     session will include tips on formatting, intellectual-property
     considerations, thesis submission, and availability issues (who can
     see it and when).
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

   HUMAN RESOURCES WORKSHOP: "DEVELOPING A SPECIFIC ASSET ALLOCATION"
   Friday, January 26, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
   Beckman Institute auditorium
     A representative from TIAA-CREF will review the fundamentals of
     asset allocation, including the various forms of investing risks,
     and explain diversification among the different asset classes. All
     Caltech personnel are welcome to attend.
     Details: http://today.caltech.edu/today/story-display?story_id=18949

   INFORMATION SESSION: MSIT DEGREE PROGRAM FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF REDLANDS
   Thursday, February 1, noon to 1:30 p.m.
   Avery Courtyard
     A representative from the University of Redlands will be available
     to discuss evening degree programs for working adults, including a
     Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) program.

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "WEB OF KNOWLEDGE"
   Thursday, February 1, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     The Web of Knowledge offers the Web of Science database for science,
     engineering, humanities, and social science, plus Journal Citation
     Reports. This session will teach how to link to full-text articles
     with SFX, navigate through scientific literature to discover the
     influence of articles, export records into EndNote, and personalize
     searches and citation alerts.
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

   STAFF EDUCATION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP:
   "CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS"
   Friday, February 2, and Friday, February 9, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
   Winnett lounge
     A two-day workshop will teach tools for talking when the stakes are
     high. With "Crucial Conversations" skills, you will be able to prepare
     for high-stakes situations with a proven technique.
     Details:
     http://hr.caltech.edu/education/courses/crucial_conversations.htm

   SFCC WORKSHOP: "THE LANGUAGES OF LOVE"
   Friday, February 2, noon to 1 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     Amy Malak, work/life coordinator in Caltech's Staff and Faculty
     Consultation Center, will discuss five typical ways that love is
     communicated and help you communicate love in the language your
     partner will understand.
     Registration (required):
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=968152571372

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Caltech Weekly Update is brought to you by Caltech Public Relations.
For more news and events, visit Caltech Today at http://today.caltech.edu
and the Caltech Calendar at http://today.caltech.edu/calendar.

Comments about this update should be sent to [email-masked], or by 
campus mail to mail code 1-71.

-- 
***********************************************
You are receiving this via the Personnel Directory database.  If you 
prefer receiving memos on paper, please email [email-masked] 
or drop a note to Directory 1-71.