Subject: FW: Deformation Theory and Moduli in Algebraic Geometry, other MSRI sponsored summer graduate programs

From: "Croomes, Stacey V." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:28:22 -0800

___________________________________________________

To graduate students:

Our department is one of the academic sponsors of the Mathematical
Sciences Research Institute. One of the benefits of sponsorship is the
ability to send participants to one of MSRI's summer graduate programs.
Each year, an academic sponsor may nominate two graduate students
(three, if one is a woman or an under represented minority) to
Participate in one of the two-week summer graduate programs. MSRI covers
the travel and expenses of the nominated students.

Please consult with your advisors and let me know if you are interested
in one of the following programs.

-- Nikolai Makarov

_________________________________________
This summer MSRI is hosting two workshops in Berkeley:

Deformation Theory and Moduli in Algebraic Geometry July 23, 2007 to
August 03, 2007

Organized By: Max Lieblich (Princeton), Martin Olsson (Berkeley), Brian
Osserman (Berkeley), Ravi Vakil (Stanford) This workshop is intended to
introduce to graduate students the main ideas of deformation theory and
moduli spaces in algebraic geometry. We hope to illuminate the general
theory through extensive discussions of concrete examples and
applications.
Limited to 40 students on a first come, first served basis.
<http://www.msri.org/calendar/sgw/WorkshopInfo/419/show_sgw>

Continuous Optimization and Applications.
July 09, 2007 to July 20, 2007

Organized By: Henry Wolkowicz. (University of Waterloo)

This workshop is intended to introduce to graduate students the main
ideas of Continuous Optimization and its Applications. In particular,
the major developments of the last ten years will be emphasized. This
includes the use of interior point methods in the solution of large
scale linear and nonlinear programs.
Limited to 40 students on a first come, first served basis.
<http://www.msri.org/calendar/sgw/WorkshopInfo/423/show_sgw>

In addition, MSRI will provide some support for students from academic
sponsor institutions to attend the following off-site workshop that has
an early deadline for applications:

Derived Categories in Algebraic Geometry

June 04, 2007 to June 16, 2007 at the University of Utah

Organized By: Aaron Bertram (University of Utah), Y.P. Lee (university
of Utah), Eric Sharpe (University of Utah and Virginia Tech)
<http://www.math.utah.edu/dc/app.html>
IMPORTANT: APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY FEBRUARY 28, 2007