Subject: Caltech Weekly Update for the week of February 5, 2007

From: Caltech Directory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:50:13 -0800

Caltech Weekly Update for the week of February 5, 2007

FEATURED EVENTS

   CLAZZICAL NOTES: MUSIC AND DISCUSSION
     Clazzical Notes is an adult educational outreach program sponsored
     by the Pasadena Symphony with the intention of bridging the gap between
     the jazz and classical music communities. At 7 p.m. on Monday, February
     5, jazz vocalist Sandra Booker will be joined by classical baritone
     Cedric Berry for an evening of music and discussion in Ramo Auditorium.
     This event is free, and no tickets or reservations are required.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3782.html

   PET EDUCATION FAIR
     Institute Housing and the Caltech Animal Team (CAT) are bringing the
     Pasadena Humane Society and local pet-supply stores to campus to
     provide information on responsible pet ownership and to offer an
     opportunity for attendees to discuss pet issues with experts. Students
     may inquire about the new Caltech Housing pet policies and register
     their pets. Pick up a raffle ticket for a chance to win a prize for
     your pet. At 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 8, in San
     Pasqual Walk. In the event of rain, the location will be moved to
     Winnett Lounge.

   AN EVENING OF JAZZ AND SPOKEN WORD
     Minority Student Education and the Caltech Y invite members of the
     community to join them in celebrating Black History Month with an
     evening of live jazz and poetry. Heavy appetizers and desserts will be
     served. At 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Friday, February 9, in the lobby of the
     Center for Student Services.

   DISCOUNTED TICKETS TO PASADENA SYMPHONY CONCERT ON FEBRUARY 10
     The Caltech Y is selling discounted tickets to the Pasadena
     Symphony's concert at the Pasadena Civic Center on February 10,
     at 8 p.m. The program will include Beethoven's Fourth Symphony, as well
     as works by Ravel and Hindemith. The cost is $12 for students and $20
     for faculty and staff. Tickets are limited and are a being sold on a
     first-come, first-served basis.

   CALTECH/MIT ENTERPRISE FORUM
     In a program entitled "Will Biologists Give More Moore Life?:
     Opportunities as Biology and Circuitry Meet," researchers and
     entrepreneurs will present their research and ideas on self-
     assembled devices and architectures, for critique by technology
     managers from major corporations in the semiconductor industry.
     Speakers will include George Thompson, from the Intel Corporation,
     and Paul Rothemund, senior research fellow in computer science and
     computation and neural systems at Caltech. The event will take place
     at 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, February 10, in Baxter Lecture Hall.
     Details: http://www.entforum.caltech.edu

DANCE CLASSES

   BEGINNER BALLROOM
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 12:30-2:00 p.m.
     (January 7-28: Foxtrot and Samba; February 4-25: Tango & Jive)
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: FOXTROT
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: SAMBA
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   SCOTTISH COUNTRY
     Mondays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://scd.caltech.edu.

   BEGINNER HUSTLE
     Mondays, January 8 to February 26, at 8:30 to 10 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   ADVANCED-BEGINNER ARGENTINE TANGO
     Thursdays, January 11 to March 8 (except January 25),
     at 9 to 11:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

   CEFCU ANNOUNCEMENTS
     The 57th CEFCU Annual Meeting will take place on Tuesday, February 13,
     at 5:30 p.m. at the Beckman Institute (next to Beckman Auditorium).
     Refreshments will be available at 5 p.m.
     On Wednesday, February 14, the Campus Branch will open at 9:30 a.m.,
     and on Monday, February 19, all CEFCU branches will be closed in
     observance of Presidents Day.

   VALENTINE'S DAY AT THE BOOKSTORE
     Three lucky winners of the Bookstore's Valentine Raffle will receive
     a heart-shaped box of See's Candies, along with two movie tickets.
     Sign up at the Bookstore to enter. The drawing will take place on
     Wednesday, February 14, at noon. (You don't need to be present to win.)
     The Bookstore also has a large selection of Valentine's Day cards and
     gifts for your special someone.

CAMPUS TRAINING AND WORKSHOPS

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "ENDNOTE FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS"
   Thursday, February 8, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     Learn how EndNote can be used to create bibliographies within a
     word-processing document and as a search interface to online
     databases and catalogs, allowing you to export records directly to
     your computer. Not intended for Mac users. Class size is limited to
     eight participants.
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

   WOMEN'S INTERMEDIATE SELF-DEFENSE CLASS
   Sunday, February 11, 1 to 5 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     This class is for women who have participated in the introductory
     workshop, "A Woman's Best Defense," and would like the opportunity
     to deliver full-force, debilitating blows to a padded assailant in a
     variety of simulated scenarios.

   HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS SERIES WORKSHOP: "SEX AT NOON"
   Monday, February 12, noon to 1 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     Male condoms, female condoms, dental dams, Caltech sexual-health
     data, HPV vaccine info, outercourse, intercourse, and much more will
     be discussed at this interactive, fun workshop presented by two campus
     health-care providers, Jane Curtis, MA, and Alice Sogomonian, RN.
     Registration (required):
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=968152571372

   BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS TRAINING
   Wednesday, February 14, 3 to 4 p.m.
   118 Keith Spalding Building
     This course, designed for individuals who are exposed to blood or
     other potentially infectious agents, presents information on
     preventing exposure to bloodborne pathogens including hepatitis B
     and human immunodeficiency viruses.
     Registration (required): 395-6727 or [email-masked]

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "LIFE SCIENCES INFORMATION RESOURCES"
   Thursday, February 15, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     This class will cover various bibliographic databases to consider as
     resources for interdisciplinary information retrieval related to
     life sciences, as well as options for automatically updating your
     knowledge about new literature on your topic, use of subheadings in
     PubMed/Medline, and other database functions and features.
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Caltech Weekly Update is brought to you by Caltech Public Relations.
For more news and events, visit Caltech Today at http://today.caltech.edu
and the Caltech Calendar at http://today.caltech.edu/calendar.

Comments about this update should be sent to [email-masked], or by 
campus mail to mail code 1-71.

-- 
***********************************************
You are receiving this via the Personnel Directory database.  If you 
prefer receiving memos on paper, please email [email-masked] 
or drop a note to Directory 1-71.