Subject: [Gradstudents] Weekly Announcements: African-American Cultural Exhibition / HPV Vaccines / GUSH / Jazz & Spoken Word / Taiwanese Club: Chinese New Year Casion Night

From: Graduate Student Council <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:51:14 -0800 (PST)

1)  African-American Cultural Exhibition
2)  HPV Vaccines
3)  Time to G.U.S.H. + Baaallliin!!!
4)  Jazz and Spoken Word
5)  Taiwanese Club  Chinese New Year Casino Night

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1)  African-American Cultural Exhibition

Tuesday, February 13, 2007
"Lift Every Voice and Sing"
Portia Mitchell, Soloist

Traditional Dance and Music from Cameroon , Central Africa
Noah Andzongo & Africabok
Time: 12:00 pm . 1:00 pm
Location: Chandler/Red Door Outdoor Lounge

Wednesday, February 14, 2007
"From Chesnutt to Obama:  Passing, "Colorblindness" and the Politics of
Race"

Dr. Judith Jackson Fossett
Associate Professor of English and American Studies & Ethnicity
Director, African-American Studies Program
University of Southern California

Time: 12:00 pm . 1:00 pm
Location: 2nd Floor, Center for Student Services
Lunch Provided, RSVP: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=164503246545

Thursday, February 15, 2007
Art Exhibition: Displaying the African-American Experience through the
Visual Arts
In Association with the Center for the Arts of the African Diaspora

Time: 12:00 pm . 7:00 pm
Location: Dabney Lounge
Lunch @ 12:00 pm
Light H'dourves @ 5:00 pm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
2)  HPV Vaccines
The Caltech Health Center actually now ordered several doses of the new
(2006) HPV vaccine for women against cervical cancer (more information
about HPV can be found on: www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/hpv.vaccine.pdf
<http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/hpv.vaccine.pdf>). Officially this vaccine
is only available for women of 26 years and under, I am not sure how
strict Caltech enforces this age limit.

The vaccine consist of three doses (~ $130 each) spread over six months
(hence ~ $400 in total). If you start when you are 26, you can finish it
when you are 27. It protects against viruses that cause 70% of all
cervical cancer. As they only purchase a limited number of vaccines and
they don't want over expired vaccines, they made a list of Caltech women
who want to purchase this vaccine. If you are interested in this, be
sure to contact the Health Center, ask for Davina and put yourself on that
list as well.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
3)  Time to G.U.S.H. + Baaallliin!!!

Saturday, 3pm at Dabney Garden

the Graduate Underground Social Hour convenes once again this month
to celebrate in anticipation of the Caltech basketball game. Drinks
will be provided from 3-5pm, as will slight-to-moderate basketball
themed entertainment.

5pm Caltech vs. Whittier, women's game - "we have a very VERY GOOD
CHANCE of beating them. this is the team we HATE the most because
they play really DIRTY so it would be great to have a lot of
OBNOXIOUS fans to give them a hard time. "
-Rene Davis (#4, captain), personal communication, (capitalization mine)

6:30pm BBQ outside the gym - Come to the first game to get your meal
ticket! Vegetarian options will be provided. Also, it is likely that
Sun Chips will be provided

7:30pm Caltech vs. Whittier, men's game - this is the game that could
end the 22 year conference game losing streak. Stay for the game to
be a part of history*!!

Games with prizes will occur during the halftimes. Also, there may be
a raffle. We are giving away roughly $150 worth of swag, so if school
spirit doesn't compel you, consider self-interest! Also, there may be
a pep band! A Caltech student in a Beaver costume! "BEAVER FEVER" t-
shirts for sale? GO CALTECH!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!! YEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

*being a part of history not guaranteed by the GSC

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
4)  Jazz and Spoken Word
Friday, February 9, 5:30-8:00,
Center for Student Services Lobby

.An Evening of Jazz & Spoken Word.
Join us for an evening of live jazz and poetry.  Heavy appetizers and
desserts will be served
RSVPs are appreciated but not required to [email-masked] or ext. 6207

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
5)  Taiwanese Club  Chinese New Year Casino Night

What: First Chinese New Year Casino Night
When: 8:30pm, February 17th, 2007 (Chinese New Year's Eve)
Where: South Catalina Recreation Room
Who: Everybody is welcome

There will be Poker, Blackjack, Roulette, and traditional Chinese Gambling
games!
There will also be food and drinks for everyone and alcoholic beverages
for people over 21.
Come play for free, win prizes and have fun!

The party is co-sponsored by GSC, Graduate Office, Housing and Campus
Life. Read and abide by Caltech alcohol policy:
http://www.studaff.caltech.edu/policies.html

Visit our website at http://taiwan.caltech.edu

- Association of Caltech Taiwanese
_______________________________________________
Gradstudents mailing list
[email-masked]
https://utils.its.caltech.edu/mailman/listinfo/gradstudents