Subject: Weekly Update for the week of January 29

From: Caltech Directory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:59:16 -0800

Caltech Weekly Update for the week of January 29, 2007

FEATURED EVENTS

   GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY FOR THE CAHILL CENTER FOR
   ASTRONOMY AND ASTROPHYSICS
     Members of the Caltech community are invited to attend a
     groundbreaking ceremony for the Cahill Center for Astronomy and
     Astrophysics in the construction area just east of Spaulding Lab at
     11 a.m. on January 31. President Chameau will preside over the
     event, and noted architect Thom Mayne of Morphosis is expected to
     speak as well.

   VOICES OF VISION: MICHAEL FOSBERG, "INCOGNITO"
     "Incognito" is a one-man autobiographical show in which Chicago
     actor and playwright Michael Fosberg recalls his personal journey
     when, as an adult, he discovered he was not the person he had been
     led to believe. It's a story about life-changing discovery of family
     and race, and a personal, historical odyssey on two opposite sides of
     the world. At 8 p.m. on Thursday, February 1, in Beckman Auditorium.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3770.html

   PERFORMING ARTS SERIES: "UNIVERSE OF DREAMS"
     Narrated by Neal Conan, host of NPR's "Talk of the Nation," and with
     music performed by Ensemble Galilei, "A Universe of Dreams" is a
     multimedia concert that evokes the wonder and mystery of the
     universe through a combination of music, images from the Hubble
     Space Telescope, and readings of works by authors including Mary
     Oliver and Isaac Asimov. The performance will take place at 8 p.m.
     on February 2, in Beckman Auditorium.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3608.html

   FILM SCREENING: "CARNIVAL IN SWITZERLAND: A WORLD UPSIDE DOWN"
     In Baxter Lecture Hall at 7:30 p.m. on February 2, filmaker Albert
     Gasser and folklorist Peter Tokofsky will introduce and guide a
     postscreening discussion of "Carnival in Switzerland--A World
     Upside Down," a documentary about folkloric customs and community
     traditions of Switzerland. Afterwards, a reception with refreshments
     will be held in the first-floor north lobby of Baxter Hall.
     Details: http://today.caltech.edu/today/story-display?story_id=19088

   THE CALTECH FOLK MUSIC SOCIETY PRESENTS JIM MALCOLM
     Scottish vocalist and instrumentalist Jim Malcolm will perform
     traditional Scottish music accompanied by guitar and harmonica at 8
     p.m. on Saturday, February 3, in Beckman Institute auditorium.
     Tickets and information:
     http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-4122.html

   THE CALTECH JAZZ BANDS PERFORMANCE AT THE JAZZ BAKERY
     The Caltech Jazz Bands will perform at the Jazz Bakery (3233 Helms
     Avenue, Los Angeles) at 4 to 6 p.m. on Sunday, February 4. Standard
     ticket cost is $20, and half-price student discount rates are
     available. For reservations, call (310) 271-9039. Tickets will be
     available at the box office one hour before showtime. For additional
     information, go to www.jazzbakery.com.

DANCE CLASSES

   BEGINNER BALLROOM
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 12:30-2:00 p.m.
     (January 7-28: Foxtrot and Samba; February 4-25: Tango & Jive)
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: FOXTROT
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: SAMBA
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   SCOTTISH COUNTRY
     Mondays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://scd.caltech.edu.

   BEGINNER HUSTLE
     Mondays, January 8 to February 26, at 8:30 to 10 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   ADVANCED-BEGINNER ARGENTINE TANGO
     Thursdays, January 11 to March 8 (except January 25),
     at 9 to 11:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

   VALENTINE'S DAY AT THE BOOKSTORE
     Three lucky winners of the Bookstore's Valentine Raffle will receive
     a beautiful heart-shaped box of See's Candies, along with two movie
     tickets. Sign up at the Bookstore to enter. The drawing will take
     place on Wednesday, February 14, at noon. (You need not be present to
     win.) The Bookstore also has Valentine's Day cards and gifts for your
     special someone.

   CALTECH Y OFFERING DISCOUNTED TICKETS TO THE PASADENA SYMPHONY
     The Caltech Y is selling discounted tickets to the Pasadena
     Symphony's performance of Beethoven's Fourth Symphony on Saturday,
     February 10, at 8 p.m. at the Pasadena Civic Center. The cost is $12
     for students and $20 for faculty and staff. Tickets are limited and
     are a being sold on a first-come, first-served basis, so stop by the
     Y to get yours today.

   GRAPHIC RESOURCES: TAX FORMS AND RESOURCES
     The U.S. Postal Service has discontinued its decades-old tax-form
     distribution service at the campus post office and many other post
     offices, libraries, and public locations. The forms are now readily
     available online. You can find the California Franchise Tax Board
     forms at www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/index.html and the Internal Revenue
     Service forms at www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html.

CAMPUS TRAINING & WORKSHOPS

   SFCC WORKSHOP: "CHOOSING A RETIREMENT FACILITY"
   Wednesday, January 31, noon to 1 p.m.
   113 Spalding Laboratory
     This workshop will be presented by Susan Pomerantz and Marlene
     Harrison, represenatatives from Concepts for Living, a placement
     service designed to guide seniors and their families through the
     process of making decisions on care and choosing a senior community.

   INFORMATION SESSION: MSIT DEGREE PROGRAM FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF REDLANDS
   Thursday, February 1, noon to 1:30 p.m.
   Avery Courtyard
     A representative from the University of Redlands will be available in
     Avery Courtyard to discuss evening degree programs for working adults,
     including a Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) program.
     Details:
     http://hr.caltech.edu/education/degree_complete_courses/msit.htm

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "WEB OF KNOWLEDGE"
   Thursday, February 1, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     The Web of Knowledge offers the Web of Science database for science,
     engineering, humanities, and social science, plus Journal Citation
     Reports. This session will teach how to link to full-text articles
     with SFX, navigate through scientific literature to discover the
     influence of articles, export records into EndNote, and personalize
     searches and citation alerts.
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

   STAFF EDUCATION & CAREER DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP: "CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS"
   Fridays, February 2 and 9, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
   Winnett lounge
     A two-day workshop will teach tools for talking when the stakes are
     high. With "Crucial Conversations" skills, you will be able to
     prepare for high-stakes situations with a proven technique, allowing
     you to improve both your professional and personal relationships.
     Details and registration:
     http://hr.caltech.edu/education/courses/crucial_conversations.htm

   SFCC WORKSHOP: "THE LANGUAGES OF LOVE"
   Friday, February 2, noon to 1 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     Amy Malak, work/life coordinator in Caltech's Staff and Faculty
     Consultation Center, will discuss five typical ways that love is
     communicated and teach you to communicate love in the language your
     partner will understand.
     Registration (required):
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=968152571372

   COUNSELING CENTER WORKSHOP: "THE UPS AND DOWNS OF DATING"
   Friday, February 2, noon to 1 p.m
   Caltech Y lounge
     In a round-table discussion, psychiatrist Angela Cheng will discuss
     how to establish a balance between dating and studying, the difference
     between dating and just being friends, and the qualities you may
     want to look for in a partner.

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "ENDNOTE FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS"
   Thursday, February 8, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     Learn how EndNote can be used to create bibliographies within a
     word-processing document and as a search interface to online
     databases and catalogs, allowing you to export records directly to
     your computer. Not intended for Mac users. Class size is limited to
     eight participants.
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

   WOMEN'S INTERMEDIATE SELF-DEFENSE CLASS
   Sunday, February 11, 1 to 5 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     This class is for women who have participated in the introductory
     workshop, "A Woman's Best Defense," and would like the opportunity
     to deliver full-force, debilitating blows to a padded assailant in a
     variety of simulated scenarios.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Caltech Weekly Update is brought to you by Caltech Public Relations.
For more news and events, visit Caltech Today at http://today.caltech.edu
and the Caltech Calendar at http://today.caltech.edu/calendar.

Comments about this update should be sent to [email-masked], or by 
campus mail to mail code 1-71.
-- 
***********************************************
You are receiving this via the Personnel Directory database.  If you 
prefer receiving memos on paper, please email [email-masked] 
or drop a note to Directory 1-71.