Subject: Midterm

From: Ila <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:11:50 -0800

Hi Rupert,

I'm in your Section 5 of Ma 2b, and I just picked up my math midterm. I saw
a few comments about my usage of a calculator. I just wanted to explain that
for some reason, it did not occur to me whatsoever that the binomial
distribution function that I was not allowed to use on the midterm, was in
fact the summation formula I used on a few problems. I read the instructions
at the beginning of the test, but I guess I assumed that since the binomial
distribution function was a way to determine solutions, and it is very hard
to calculate a sum over many numbers, that I was not allowed to use my
calculator. I'm terribly sorry about the confusion. It's completely my
fault, but it was definitely a mistake.

Thanks,

Ila

---

From: Ila <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:57:04 -0800

Hi Rupert,

I understand completely the reasons for points taken off on my midterm. I
just wanted to make sure that you knew that I didn't use my calculator
intentionally; I just made a lot of stupid mistakes. Thanks,

-Ila

On 2/14/07, Rupert W. Venzke <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Ila,
>
> I'm sorry to hear about this difficulty.  I'm afraid it's unlikely I will
> be able to award additional points because I asked Dr. Lorden specifically
> about this issue during grading.  However, I won't discount the
> possibility that one of us goofed during grading.  If you would like to
> meet with me about this question, please meet me at office hours in room
> 156 Sloan between 5-6PM on Friday.  Also, please bring your calculator
> along as well.  Have a good afternoon.
>
>
> Rupert
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Ila wrote:
>
> > Hi Rupert,
> >