Subject: [Gradstudents] Weekly Announcements: YESS Instructors Needed / Chinese New Year: Casino Night / 2007 ELS / Meet and Great w/ filmmakers of People Like Us

From: Graduate Student Council <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 02:57:23 -0800 (PST)

1)  *YESS Program: Call for Instructors*
2)  Taiwanese Club Chinese New Year Casino Night
3)  2007 Everhart Lecture Series
4)  Meet and Great Opportunity w/ the filmmakers of People Like Us:
Social Class in America.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1)  *YESS Program: Call for Instructors*

*The Caltech Young Engineering and Science Scholars (YESS) program is
currently seeking Caltech graduate students or postdocs to serve as
instructors for its upcoming summer session.

The YESS program is a three-week summer residential program for
exceptional underrepresented minority high school students. YESS provides
a unique and in-depth educational experience designed to expose students
to the excitement and rigor of science research. In the past several
years, many of the top students from the YESS program have applied to and
attend very competitive colleges and universities, including Caltech.

Being a YESS Instructor represents a unique opportunity for Caltech
graduate students to develop and hone teaching skills.  Instructors work
in small teams to develop and implement a three-week course. The position
requires time, dedication and a true commitment to the mission of the
program.  Instructors will be compensated with a stipend.

For the summer of 2007,* Neuroscience * and* Physics* (Mechanics) will be
offered. In addition to these courses, we are offering a * Research
Skills*course designed to introduce participants to technical skills
required for research. For this course, instructors with backgrounds in
Bioinformatics, computer modeling, and/or MATLAB are encouraged to apply.

Curriculum development begins in late March and instructors must be
available for the entire duration of the summer program (June 24 - July
13, 2007).

Applications are due February 23, 2007. For an application, please go to *
http://yess.caltech.edu/yessinstructor.html
<http://yess.caltech.edu/yessinstructor.html> For more information please
contact Luz Rivas - [email-masked]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
2)  Taiwanese Club Chinese New Year Casino Night

What: First Chinese New Year Casino Night
When: 8:30pm, February 17th, 2007 (Chinese New Year's Eve)
Where: South Catalina Recreation Room
Who: Everybody is welcome

There will be Poker, Blackjack, Roulette, and traditional Chinese Gambling
games!
There will also be food and drinks!
Come play for free, win prizes and have fun!

The party is co-sponsored by GSC, Graduate Office, Housing and Campus
http://www.studaff.caltech.edu/policies.html

Visit our website at http://taiwan.caltech.edu

- Association of Caltech Taiwanese

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
3)  2007 Everhart Lecture Series

Samantha Daly, Graduate Student in Mechanical Engineering

"Metals with Memory: How these amazing materials remember their shape"

Thursday, February 22, 2007, 4-5PM
Guggenheim 101
Refreshments at 3:45PM

The Everhart Lecture Series is a forum to encourage interdisciplinary
interaction among graduate students and faculty, to share ideas about
recent research developments, problems and controversies, and to
recognize exemplary presentation and research abilities. Lecturers
discuss scientific topics at a level suitable for graduate students and
faculty from all fields while addressing current research issues.

For talk abstract please see:
www.its.caltech.edu/~els

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
4) Meet and Great Opportunity w/ the filmmakers of People Like Us: Social
Class in America.

Next Thursday we have the filmmakers who created the PBS documentary
People Like Us: Social Class in America.  Public Events is putting
together a dinner before their talk and looking for table guests. If you
are interested in attending please contact [email-masked] .  We will
be forwarding a list of names by the end of today so please respond ASAP
if you are interested.  Please remember that space is limited.

http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3771.html
_______________________________________________
Gradstudents mailing list
[email-masked]
https://utils.its.caltech.edu/mailman/listinfo/gradstudents