Subject: Caltech Weekly Update for the week of February 19, 2007

From: Caltech Directory <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:49:59 -0800

Caltech Weekly Update for the week of February 19, 2007

FEATURED EVENTS

   25TH ANNUAL WESTERN STATES MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS MEETING
     Caltech will host the 25th annual Western States Mathematical
     Physics Meeting at 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on February 19 and 20, in 151
     Sloan. Information on the program, including the schedule, speakers,
     and topics, can be found at www.math.caltech.edu/events/wsmp07.html.
     For graduate students, admission is free, and for others, the fee is
     $10.

   WEBMASTERS FORUM: ONLINE CALENDARS
     On Tuesday, February 20, Caltech's Electronic Media Publications
     department will demonstrate how to automate event calendars on your
     website. Specifically, they will show you how to take data from the
     Caltech Today calendar and format it to look like your current
     website. The Webmasters Forum meets on the third Tuesday of each
     month at noon to 1 p.m., in 239 Moore. Feel free to bring your lunch.

   FIFTH ANNUAL SCIENCE WRITING SYMPOSIUM
     Caltech's Science Writing Symposium will take place at 4 to 6 p.m.
     on Tuesday, February 20, in 155 Arms, Robert Sharp Lecture Hall.
     This annual event, sponsored by the Words Matter program, features a
     panel discussion among prominent science writers and scientists
     about the importance and challenges of communicating scientific
     information to the general public. This year's panelists will
     include Robert Lee Hotz, Pulitzer Prize-winning "Los Angeles Times"
     science journalist; Richard Murray, Caltech's Everhart Professor of
     Control and Dynamical Systems and student-chosen winner of the
     Institute's Feynman Teaching Prize; and Michael Shermer, founding
     director of the Skeptics Society and regular columnist for "Scientific
     American."
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-4361.html

   MONTHLY CAREGIVERS' SUPPORT GROUP MEETING
     Members of the Caltech community who provide care to loved ones,
     either locally or long-distance, are welcome to participate in the
     Caregivers' Support Group, which meets on the third Wednesday of
     each month. The workshops are facilitated by a specialist from the
     Senior Care Network at Huntington Hospital, and attendees are
     welcome to bring their lunch. For information, call 395-8360 or
     e-mail [email-masked]. This month's meting will be at noon to 1
     p.m. on February 21, in 156 Crellin.

   AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL MONTHLY MEETING
     Caltech/Pasadena Amnesty International Group 22 holds monthly
     meetings to discuss current activities and plans. All are welcome to
     attend, and refreshments will be served. For information, call (818)
     354-4461, e-mail [email-masked], or visit the group's
     website at www.its.caltech.edu/~aigp22. This month's meeting will
     be in the Caltech Y lounge at 7:30 to 9 p.m. on February 22.

   VOICES OF VISION SERIES: "PEOPLE LIKE US--SOCIAL CLASS IN AMERICA"
     At 8 p.m. on Thursday, February 22, in Beckman Auditorium, Louis
     Alvarez and Andrew Kolker, founding producers of the Center for New
     American Media, will take audience members on a narrative tour of
     dozens of ordinary American lives. Deconstructing the popular myth
     that there is no class system in America, they present a funny and
     provocative look at the ways Americans constantly evaluate and
     categorize each other's social status.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3771.html

   VON KARMAN LECTURE: "THE DAWN MISSION TO THE ASTEROID BELT"
     Marc Rayman, PSE Mission and science specialist at JPL, will present
     a talk called "The Dawn Mission to the Asteroid Belt: Coming This
     Summer to a Solar System Near You," at 7 p.m. on February 22, in von
     Karman Auditorium at JPL, and again at 7 p.m. on February 23, in the
     Vosloh Forum (south of Colorado on Bonnie) at Pasadena City College.

   THEATER ARTS AT CALTECH: SHAKESPEARE'S "THE WINTER'S TALE"
     Theater Arts at Caltech is presenting a production of Shakespeare's
     "The Winter's Tale" in Ramo Auditorium. This week's performances are
     at 8 p.m. on February 23 and 24, and at 2 p.m. on February 25. The
     final two performances will be at 8 p.m. on March 2 and 3. Director
     Shirley Marneus has set the romance, one of the Bard's last plays, in
     medieval Japan.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3803.html

   BODY MOVEMENT WORKSHOP FOR BALLROOM DANCE
     At 4 to 6 p.m. on February 24, in the multipurpose room in Braun
     Gym, Caltech Dance Troupe member Kris Barkume will teach a workshop
     on the fundamentals of movement that are essential to ballroom
     dancing but are not usually covered in standard lessons. The first
     part of the class will focus on stretches, and the second will focus
     on various topics in body movement, such as spins and turns,
     spotting, body isolations, core, and balance.
     Information: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   LAGERSTROM CHAMBER MUSIC CONCERT: HYPERION STRING QUARTET
     At 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 25, the Hyperion String Quartet
     will perform a concert in in Dabney Lounge, featuring works by
     Mozart, Shostakovich, and Mendelssohn. This event is free, and no
     tickets or reservations are required.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3922.html

   CHEN-HUANG SUSTAINABLE ENERGY SEMINAR SERIES:
   A CONVERSATION WITH THOMAS FRIEDMAN
     In a program in Beckman Auditorium at noon to 1:30 p.m. on Monday,
     February 26, Nathan S. Lewis, Caltech's Argyros Professor and professor
     of chemistry, will converse with columnist and author Thomas Friedman
     about energy security, energy independence, environmental security,
     economic security, and how these issues interrelate. The discussion
     will address how energy policy effects research and development, as
     well as energy technology developments, in the United States and
     globally. Friedman writes extensively on these topics as a  foreign
     affairs columnist for "The New York Times" and is the author of "The
     World is Flat: A BriefHistory of the Twenty-First Century."
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-4301.html

WEEKLY DANCE CLASSES

   BEGINNER BALLROOM: Tango and Jive
     Sundays, February 4 to February 25, at 12:30-2:00 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: FOXTROT
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: SAMBA
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   SCOTTISH COUNTRY
     Mondays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://scd.caltech.edu

   BEGINNER HUSTLE
     Mondays, January 8 to February 26, at 8:30 to 10 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   ADVANCED-BEGINNER ARGENTINE TANGO
     Thursdays, January 11 to March 8, at 9 to 11:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

   CALTECH--MIT BLOOD BATTLE
     Caltech is hosting an American Red Cross blood drive as part of a
     competition with MIT. The school with the most blood donated will
     win bragging rights and the Blood Battle trophy. Caltech students,
     faculty, staff, alumni, and supporters are encouraged roll up their
     sleeves and help those in need by donating blood or platelets on
     February 26 and 27, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. in Winnett lounge. Eligible
     donors are asked to schedule an appointment to donate by calling
     1-800-GIVE LIFE (1-800-448-3543) or visiting www.GiveLife.org and
     entering the sponsor code "Caltech."

   CALTECH Y OFFERING DISCOUNTED TICKETS TO THE PASADENA SYMPHONY
     The Caltech Y is selling discounted tickets to the Pasadena
     Symphony's "Transfigured Night" concert at 8 p.m. on Saturday, March
     24, at the Pasadena Civic Center. The program will include works by
     Brahms, Haydn, and Schoenberg. The cost is $12 for students and $20
     for faculty and staff (cash or check only). Tickets are limited and
     are a being sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

   CALTECH ALCOHOL AND DRUG SURVEY (CADS)
     From February 12-28, Caltech's health educator, Jane Curtis, will
     conduct a voluntary, confidential survey to assess student alcohol and
     drug use, general campus attitudes on alcohol and drugs, and students'
     perceptions of their peers' alcohol use. On February 12 each student
     received an e-mail from SurveyMonkey.com with a link to the survey
     website. No Caltech identifying information is necessary. Those who
     complete the survey will be entered in a raffle with 10 prizes,
     including Bose headphones, Melting Pot and Target gift certificates, an
     iPod nano, iTunes credits, and more. The undergraduate house with the
     highest response rate will win a $200 cash prize, and the GSC will win
     a $200 cash prize if more than 50 percent of grad students participate.
     Go to www.healtheducation.caltech.edu for more information.

CAMPUS TRAINING AND WORKSHOPS

   WATCH YOUR BACK! BACK SAFETY TRAINING
   Wednesday, February 21, 3 to 4 p.m.
   118 Keith Spalding Building
     This course includes a brief discussion of back anatomy and an
     explanation of proper methods for handling and moving materials.
     There will be a video presentation and hands-on lifting. Space is
     limited.
     Reservations: 395-6727 or [email-masked]

   STAFF EDUCATION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP: "CAREER LAUNCH 2007"
   Wednesdays, February 21 and 28, and March 7 and 14, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     Staff Education & Career Development is offering a four-class series on
     professional development and career enhancement.
     Details: http://hr.caltech.edu/education/courses/CareerLaunch2007.htm

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: ACCESS 2003, LEVEL I (TWO SESSIONS)
   Thursday, February 22, and Friday, February 23, 8 a.m. to noon
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This class will teach the basics of building a relational database
     and tables using Access. Attendees will each receive a course book
     and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving course work and samples on
     their own computers.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   COUNSELING CENTER WORKSHOP: "STRESS RELIEF SKILLS 101"
   Thursday, February 22, noon to 1 p.m.
   Caltech Y lounge
     In this workshop, psychologist Randi Friedland will address factors
     that contribute to the internal experience of stress and provide tips
     for stress reduction.

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: POWERPOINT 2003, LEVEL I (TWO SESSIONS)
   Thursday, February 22, and Friday, February 23, 1 to 5 p.m.
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This class will teach the basics of PowerPoint. Attendees will each
     receive a course book and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving course
     work and samples on their own computers.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   WOMEN'S CENTER WORKSHOP: A WOMAN'S BEST DEFENSE
   Saturday, February 24, 1 to 5 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     One in every three women in Los Angeles County will be assaulted in
     her lifetime. This is a frightening statistic, but each woman has
     the power to decrease her chances of becoming a victim of violent
     crime. This introductory workshop features skills for avoidance,
     deterrence, and resistance of physical and verbal assault.
     Registration (required): [email-masked]

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: ACCESS 2003, LEVEL II (TWO SESSIONS)
   Monday, February 26, and Tuesday, February 27, 8 a.m. to noon
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This class will teach advanced techniques for building a relational
     database and tables using Access. Attendees will each receive a
     course book and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving course work and
     samples on their own computers.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS2, LEVEL I (TWO SESSIONS)
   Monday, February 26, and Tuesday, February 27, 1 to 5 p.m.
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This class will teach how to paint and retouch images, enhance
     lighting and contrast, work with layers and selections, and properly
     set image size and resolution. Attendees will each receive a course
     book and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving course work and samples
     on their own computers.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "CHEMICAL STRUCTURE SEARCHING"
   Thursday, March 1, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     This session will focus on searching with chemical structures (both
     drawn and with templates) for property data and chemical reactions
     in Beilstein, Gmelin, SciFinder Scholar, and the Combined Chemical
     Dictionary (Dictionaries of Organic Chemistry, Inorganic and
     Organometallic Chemistry, Natural Products, and more.)
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Caltech Weekly Update is brought to you by Caltech Public Relations.
For MORE news and events, visit Caltech Today at http://today.caltech.edu
and the Caltech Calendar at http://today.caltech.edu/calendar.

Comments about this update should be sent to [email-masked], or by 
campus mail to mail code 1-71.

-- 
***********************************************
You are receiving this via the Personnel Directory database.  If you 
prefer receiving memos on paper, please email [email-masked] 
or drop a note to Directory 1-71.