Subject: Weekly Update for the week of February 12, 2007

From: Caltech Directory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:33:20 -0800

Caltech Weekly Update for the week of February 12, 2007

FEATURED EVENTS

   AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURAL CELEBRATION
     In celebration of Black History Month, an African American Cultural
     Celebration will be held in the area outside of Chandler Dining Hall
     and the Red Door Cafe at noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, February 13.
     Portia Mitchell will sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing," and Noah
     Andzongo and Africabok will perform traditional dance and music from
     the central African country of Cameroon.

   57TH ANNUAL CREDIT UNION MEETING
     This event will take place in Beckman Institute auditorium.
     Refreshments will be served at 5 p.m., and the meeting will begin at
     5:30.

   AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL LETTER WRITING
     At 7:30 to 9 p.m. on February 13, Caltech/Pasadena Amnesty
     International Group 22 is hosting an informal meeting in the
     Athenaeum Rathskeller to write letters on worldwide human-rights
     abuses. All are welcome, and refreshments will be served. For
     information, call (818) 354-4461, e-mail [email-masked],
     or visit the group's website at www.its.caltech.edu/~aigp22.

   VALENTINE'S DAY AT THE BOOKSTORE
     Three lucky winners of the Bookstore's Valentine Raffle will receive a
     beautiful heart-shaped box of See's Candies, along with two movie
     tickets. Come in today, pick up some Valentine's Day cards and gifts,
     and sign up! The drawing will take place on Wednesday, February 14, at
     noon. (You don't need to be present to win.)

   BLACK HISTORY MONTH LUNCH FEATURING JUDITH JACKSON FOSSETT
     At noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesday, February 14, in the second-floor
     common area of the Center for Student Services, Judith Jackson
     Fossett, associate professor of English and American studies and
     ethnicity at USC, will present a talk entitled "From Chestnutt to
     Obama: Passing, 'Colorblindness,' and the Politics of Race." Lunch
     will be served.
     Reservations (required): www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=164503246545

   EARNEST C. WATSON LECTURE SERIES: "SNOWBALL EARTH"
     Joe Kirschvink, Caltech's Van Wingen Professor of Geobiology, will
     discuss Earth's global climate in an Earnest C. Watson Lecture.
     Kirschvink's Snowball Earth hypothesis accounts for a host of new
     observations about Precambrian glacial intervals and has led to new
     insights about the rise of atmospheric oxygen and major events in
     the evolution of life. This event is free, and no tickets or
     reservations are required. At 8 p.m. on Wednesday, February 14, in
     Beckman Auditorium.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3904.html

   BLACK HISTORY MONTH ART EXHIBITION
     In honor of Black History Month, Minority Student Education, the
     Caltech Y, and the Center for the Arts of the African Diaspora, will
     present an art exhibition in Dabney Lounge called "Displaying the
     African-American Experience through the Visual Arts." This event
     will take place at noon to 7 p.m. on February 15. Lunch will be
     served at noon, and light hors d'oeuvres will be served at 5 p.m.

   THEATER ARTS AT CALTECH: SHAKESPEARE'S "THE WINTER'S TALE"
     Theater Arts at Caltech will present eight performances of
     Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale" in Ramo Auditorium. Opening night
     is Friday, February 16, and the production will run through March 3.
     Director Shirley Marneus has set the romance, one of the Bard's last
     plays, in medieval Japan. For details on tickets and the performance
     schedule, go to http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3803.html.

   THE CALTECH-OCCIDENTAL CONCERT BAND PERFORMANCE AT OCCIDENTAL COLLEGE
     At 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, February 17, the Caltech-Occidental Concert
     Band will perform new music in Thorne Hall, at Occidental College.
     The concert will be directed by William Bing with guest composers
     Stanley Friedman, Bruce Lofgren, and Raymond Burkhart. Featured
     soloists will include Andrew Mollner, trumpet, and vocalist Kjerstin
     Williams. For directions, go to www.oxy.edu/mapsdirections.xml.

   THE CALTECH FOLK MUSIC SOCIETY PRESENTS CHERYL WHEELER AND KENNY WHITE
     Cheryl Wheeler is a funny, insightful performer who writes poignant
     songs that reflect the diversity of human experience. At 8 p.m. on
     Friday, February 17, she will be joined by pianist Kenny White for a
     concert in Dabney Lounge.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-4083.html

   SKEPTICS SOCIETY LECTURE: "THE BIBLE AGAINST ITSELF"
     Dr. Randel Helms, Bible scholar and professor of English at Arizona
     State University, will discuss his book "The Bible Against Itself:
     Who Wrote the Bible and Why It Seems to Contradict Itself" at 2 p.m.
     on February 18, in Baxter Lecture Hall. Donation is $8 for
     nonmembers, and $5 for members and non-Caltech students. Free to the
     Caltech/JPL community. A book signing will follow the lecture.
     Tickets and information: 794-3119 or [email-masked]
     Details: http://www.skeptic.com

   AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP
     Caltech/Pasadena Amnesty International Group 22 is sponsoring its
     monthly book discussion group at Vroman's Bookstore (695 East
     Colorado Boulevard, second floor) at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, February
     18. This month's book is "In the Shadow of a Saint," by Ken Wiwa.
     Anyone is welcome to participate.
     Information: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~aigp22

   WEBMASTERS FORUM: ONLINE CALENDARS
     On Tuesday, February 20, Caltech's Electronic Media Publications
     department will demonstrate how to automate event calendars on your
     website. Specifically, they will show you how to take data from the
     Caltech Today Master Calendar and format it to look like your current
     website. The Webmasters Forum meets on the third Tuesday of each month
     at noon to 1 p.m. in 239 Moore. Please feel free to bring your lunch.

DANCE CLASSES

   BEGINNER BALLROOM
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 12:30-2:00 p.m.
     (January 7-28: Foxtrot and Samba; February 4-25: Tango & Jive)
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: FOXTROT
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: SAMBA
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   SCOTTISH COUNTRY
     Mondays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://scd.caltech.edu.

   BEGINNER HUSTLE
     Mondays, January 8 to February 26, at 8:30 to 10 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   ADVANCED-BEGINNER ARGENTINE TANGO
     Thursdays, January 11 to March 8 (except January 25),
     at 9 to 11:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

   CALLING ALL MARATHONERS
     Are you running in the Los Angeles Marathon or another marathon this
     spring? If so, Caltech Today would like to hear from you for an article
     highlighting Caltech marathoners. If you're in training, or know of
     someone who is, please drop an e-mail to [email-masked].

   CALTECH ALCOHOL AND DRUG SURVEY (CADS)
     From February 12-28, Caltech's health educator, Jane Curtis, will
     conduct a voluntary, confidential survey to assess student alcohol and
     drug use, general campus attitudes on alcohol and drugs, and students'
     perceptions of their peers' alcohol use. On February 12 each student
     will receive an e-mail from SurveyMonkey.com with a link to the survey
     website. No Caltech identifying information is necessary. Those who
     complete the survey will be entered in a raffle with 10 prizes,
     including Bose headphones, Melting Pot and Target gift certificates, an
     iPod nano, iTunes credits, and more. The undergraduate house with the
     highest response rate will win a $200 cash prize, and the GSC will win
     a $200 cash prize if more than 50 percent of grad students participate.
     Go to www.healtheducation.caltech.edu for more information.

   AVALANCHE TRAINING COURSE
     Caltech's Alpine Club has organized a three-day avalanche training
     course intended for mountaineers, backcountry skiers, and winter
     adventurers. The course will be taught in Bishop, California, by two
     instructors from the Sierra Mountain Center. Participants must apply
     for the course by February 14. For details, go to
     www.its.caltech.edu/~alpine/avycourse.html.

   INAUGURAL ISSUE OF "THE CALTECH Y NEWS"
     The Caltech Y has just launched "The Caltech Y News," a monthly
     publication that includes announcements, reports on recent activities,
     and a calendar of upcoming events. The "Y News" will be distributed as
     a PDF via e-mail to members of the Caltech community who are or have
     been involved with, contributed to, or expressed interest in the
     Caltech Y. Each issue will also be posted on the Caltech Y website. To
     be added to the distribution list or to send comments, e-mail
     [email-masked]. (To be removed from the distrobution list, type "OPT
     OUT" in the subject line.) To view the inaugural issue, go to
     http://www.caltechy.org/pdf/Feb07YNews20.pdf

   ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING SERVICES: GO METRO FOR LESS
     From February 18-24, Metro is offering special 50¢ fares for 18
     lines throughout Los Angeles County. If you've been looking for an
     alternative to traffic jams, high gas prices, and other driving
     headaches, here's a great opportunity to "Go Metro." The 50¢
     test-ride fares are good on the following lines: 102, 127, 154, 168,
     177, 201, 202, 2098, 214, 220, 233, 258, 265, 275, 305, 550, 577X,
     and 761. For details and to plan the route that's best for you,
     go to www.metro.net.

CAMPUS TRAINING AND WORKSHOPS

   HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS SERIES WORKSHOP: "SEX AT NOON"
   Monday, February 12, noon to 1 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     Male condoms, female condoms, dental dams, Caltech sexual-health
     data, HPV vaccine info, outercourse, intercourse, and much more will
     be discussed at this interactive, fun workshop presented by two campus
     health-care providers, Jane Curtis, MA, and Alice Sogomonian, RN.
     Registration (required): www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=968152571372

   BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS TRAINING
   Wednesday, February 14, 3 to 4 p.m.
   118 Keith Spalding Building
     This course, designed for individuals who are exposed to blood or
     other potentially infectious agents, presents information on
     preventing exposure to bloodborne pathogens including hepatitis B
     and human immunodeficiency viruses.
     Registration (required): 395-6727 or [email-masked]

   COUNSELING CENTER WORKSHOP: "UNDERSTANDING ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER"
   Thursday, February 15, noon to 1 p.m.
   Caltech Y lounge
     Psychologist Ken Herman will teach a workshop on Attention Deficit
     Disorder. He'll discuss behavioral interventions to help maintain
     attention, techniques to aid memory, strategies to overcome
     procrastination, medication management, and general tips for mood
     management.

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "LIFE SCIENCES INFORMATION RESOURCES"
   Thursday, February 15, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     This class will cover various bibliographic databases to consider as
     resources for interdisciplinary information retrieval related to
     life sciences, as well as options for automatically updating your
     knowledge about new literature on your topic, use of subheadings in
     PubMed/Medline, and other database functions and features.
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

   HUMAN RESOURCES WORKSHOP:
   "GETTING STARTED ON YOUR RETIREMENT SAVINGS PLAN"
   Friday, February 16, noon to 1 p.m.
   365 S. Mudd, Salvatori Room
     A representative from Fidelity Investments will discuss the
     advantages of participating in a savings plan and explain how to
     develop an investment strategy that is right for your lifestyle.
     This workshop will introduce three basic asset classes and will
     demonstrate four types of model portfolios. This session is intended
     for Caltech personnel not yet participating in a voluntary
     retirement savings plan.

   WATCH YOUR BACK! BACK SAFETY TRAINING
   Wednesday, February 21, 3 to 4 p.m.
   118 Keith Spalding Building
     This course includes a brief discussion of back anatomy and an
     explanation of proper methods for handling and moving materials.
     There will be a video presentation and hands-on lifting. Space is
     limited.
     Reservations: 395-6727 or [email-masked]

   STAFF EDUCATION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP: "CAREER LAUNCH 2007"
   Wednesday, February 21, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     On February 21 and 28, and March 7 and 14, Staff Education & Career
     Development will offer a four-class series on professional
     development and career enhancement.
     Details: http://hr.caltech.edu/education/courses/CareerLaunch2007.htm

   COUNSELING CENTER WORKSHOP: "STRESS RELIEF SKILLS 101"
   Thursday, February 22, noon to 1 p.m.
   Caltech Y lounge
     In this workshop, psychologist Randi Friedland will address factors
     that contribute to the internal experience of stress and will
     provide tips for stress reduction.

   A WOMAN'S BEST DEFENSE
   Saturday, February 24, 1 to 5 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     One in every three women in Los Angeles County will be assaulted in
     her lifetime. This is a frightening statistic, but each woman has
     the power to decrease her chances of becoming a victim of violent
     crime. This introductory workshop features skills for avoidance,
     deterrence, and resistance of physical and verbal assault.
     Registration (required): [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Caltech Weekly Update is brought to you by Caltech Public Relations.
For more news and events, visit Caltech Today at http://today.caltech.edu
and the Caltech Calendar at http://today.caltech.edu/calendar.

Comments about this update should be sent to 
[email-masked], or by campus mail to mail code 
1-71.

-- 
***********************************************
You are receiving this via the Personnel 
Directory database.  If you prefer receiving 
memos on paper, please email 
[email-masked] or drop a note to Directory 
1-71.