Subject: Weekly Update for the week of January 15

From: Caltech Directory <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:32:56 -0800

Caltech Weekly Update for the week of January 15, 2007

FEATURED EVENTS

   MLK WEEK PROGRAM: "THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT TODAY"
     Martin Luther King Jr. was an instrumental figure of the civil
     rights movement, but do you know the state of the civil rights
     movement today? To commemorate the life and work of MLK Jr., Caltech
     has invited civil rights organizer, historian, teacher, writer, and
     film-maker Eric Mann to campus. At a special event at 9 a.m. on
     January 17, in the Citrus Bistro, Mann will share his views on the
     past, present, and future of the the civil rights movement. Open to the
     Caltech community. To make reservations for breakfast, go to
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=522563084903.
     Details: http://today.caltech.edu/today/story-display?story_id=18727

   CALTECH CAMPUS COMMUNITY MEETING
     All interested members of the campus community are invited to attend
     a campus community meeting at noon to 1 p.m. on Wednesday, January
     17, in Ramo Auditorium. The topic of discussion will be the removal
     of "Moore's Stone Volute" and the creation of a new outdoor artwork
     to take its place. The Schlinger Laboratory for Chemistry and
     Chemical Engineering is slated to be built where the statue now
     stands. Because of the way it was constructed, the "Volute" cannot
     be relocated, so it must be removed. The sculptor, Lloyd Hamrol,
     understands the dilemma and has agreed to create a new outdoor artwork
     for the Institute.

   MONTHLY CAREGIVERS' SUPPORT GROUP MEETING
     Members of the Caltech community who provide care to loved ones,
     either locally or long-distance, are welcome to participate in the
     caregivers' support group, which meets on the third Wednesday of
     each month. This month's session, facilitated by a specialist from
     the Senior Care Network at Huntington Hospital, will take place at
     noon to 1 p.m. on January 17 in 156 Crellin. Bring your lunch. For
     information, call 395-8360 or e-mail [email-masked].

   LUCY JONES PRESENTS A FREE PUBLIC LECTURE ON EARTHQUAKES IN
   SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
     To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the last great earthquake to
     strike Southern California, the magnitude 7.9 Fort Tejon quake, which
     occurred on the San Andreas fault on January 9, 1857, Caltech's Lucy
     Jones will present a talk entitled "Learning from the Past, Preparing
     for the Future: Earthquakes in Southern California." At 7 p.m. on
     Wednesday, January 17, at Pasadena City College, Dr. Jones will explore
     the history of great earthquakes on that fault, expected future
     earthquakes, and what this means for Southern California today. This
     free public event will take place in Sexson Auditorium at Pasadena City
     College. For a campus map, go to
     http://www.pasadena.edu/maps/campus_map.cfm. (Sexson Auditorium is
     located in Building C). Complimentary parking is available in parking
     lots 6 and 7, off Bonnie Avenue just south of Colorado Boulevard.

   EARNEST C. WATSON LECTURE SERIES
     At 8 p.m. on January 17, in Beckman Auditorium, Melany Hunt,
     professor and executive officer for mechanical engineering at
     Caltech, will discuss booming sand dunes, a phenomenon in which
     low-frequency sustained tones accompany the avalanching of sand.
     Over the years, desert travellers have attributed these sounds to
     beating drums, harps, voices of spirits, and lost horsemen. Dr. Hunt
     will will outline recent work at Caltech involving field and
     laboratory measurements of the booming sound, and she'll offer a new
     explanation of the desert music.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3861.html

   CMA PROGRAM: "TECHNOLOGY AND BUSINESS--HARDER THAN SCIENCE?"
     At 4:45 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, January 18, the Caltech Management
     Association (CMA), a leadership forum, will present a program in von
     Karman Auditorium at JPL. Ken Pickar, visiting professor of mechanical
     engineering at Caltech will give a talk entitled "Technology and
     Business--Harder Than Science?" This event is free. All members of the
     Campus and JPL communities and retirees are welcome.

   CALTECH PROJECT FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING (CPET) SEMINAR
     Richard Murray, Everhart Professor of Control and Dynamical Systems
     and director of Information Science and Technology at Caltech, is
     the winner of the 2006 Feynman Prize, the Institute's highest
     teaching honor. At this seminar, he will present a talk entitled
     "Project-Based Teaching: CS/EE/ME 75 and the DARPA Grand Challenge."
     Murray will discuss teaching outside the classroom through
     project-based learning and explain how he turned the DARPA Grand
     Challenge competition into a hands-on teaching opportunity. At 5 to
     6 p.m. on January 18, in 101 Guggenheim Lab, Lees-Kubota Lecture
     Hall.

   MLK WEEK PROGRAM: "CIVIL RIGHTS: WHY SHOULD SCIENTISTS CARE?"
     At noon on January 19, Dr. John Slaughter will be featured as the
     keynote speaker at a special MLK Week lunch in the Athenaeum Hall of
     Associates. Slaughter is the president and CEO of the National
     Action Council for Minorities in Engineering, former director of the
     National Science Foundation, president of Occidental College, and
     chancellor at the University of Maryland, College Park. Open to the
     Caltech community. Reservations (required):
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=522563084903.

    CALTECH JAZZ BANDS CONCERT
     This year's annual Caltech Jazz Bands Winter Concert is at 8 p.m. on
     Friday, January 19, in Beckman Auditorium, and will feature
     saxophonist Sal Lozano as guest artist. This event is free, no
     tickets or reservations are required, and a free reception will
     follow the concert.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3797.html

   THE CALTECH FOLK MUSIC SOCIETY PRESENTS ELIZA GILKYSON
     At 8 p.m. on Friday, January 19, Eliza Gilkyson will perform in
     Dabney Lounge. Gilkyson is a third-generation musician who grew up
     in Los Angeles and as a teenager recorded demos for her father,
     songwriter Terry Gilkyson. Soon she began writing and recording her
     own material. Her most recent album, "Paradise Hotel," has made DJ
     Top Ten lists all over the United States and Europe.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-4082.html

   CALTECH/MIT ENTERPRISE FORUM
     The program for this Caltech/MIT Enterprise Forum will focus on the
     integration of software and electronics in medical-device
     applications, examining the opportunities and challenges for
     entrepreneurs. The keynote speaker will be Dr. Michael E. Phelps,
     Norton Simon Professor and chair of UCLA's department of molecular
     and medical pharmacology. At 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, January 20,
     in Baxter Lecture Hall.
     Details: http://www.entforum.caltech.edu

   BALLROOM DANCE COMPETITION: DANCE OF THE ROSES
     At 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on January 20, the Caltech Ballroom Dance Club
     will present the fourth annual Dance of the Roses ballroom dance
     competition in Brown Gymnasium. The event is open to all collegiate
     and noncollegiate amateur-level competitors. Admission for
     spectators is free for Caltech/JPL affiliates, and $5 for others.
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   SCIENCE SATURDAYS FILM SCREENING: "THE BLUE REALM: SHARK BUSINESS"
     Part of the Discovery series "The Blue Realm," "Shark Business"
     unravels mysteries surrounding sharks. In this film, divers test the
     limits of shark-human interaction with dangerous species such as
     lemon, bull, and great white sharks. At 2 p.m. on Saturday, January
     20, in Beckman Auditorium, Rachel Berquist, postdoctoral scholar in
     mechanical engineering at Caltech, will introduce the film and guide
     a post-screening discussion.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3666.html

   CALTECH STUDENT CHAMBER ENSEMBLES
     The first concert of the Winter Chamber Music Series is at 8 p.m. on
     Saturday, January 20, in Dabney Lounge. Caltech students will
     perform Mozart's Quartet for Flute and Strings in D Major, music for
     piano duet by Dvorak and Clementi, and Cecile Chaminade's Piano Trio
     No. 1. The event is free, no tickets or reservations are required, and
     a free reception will follow the performance.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3798.html

   CALTECH STUDENT CHAMBER ENSEMBLES
     The second concert in the Winter Chamber Music Series will be at
     3:30 to 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, January 21, in Dabney Lounge. Caltech
     students will be joined by visiting artist Jill Box on bassoon,
     performing music for woodwind ensembles by Mozart. Also on the
     program will be trios by Telemann and Martinu, and a piano
     duet by Schubert. The event is free, no tickets or reservations are
     required, and a free reception will follow the performance.
     Details: http://events.caltech.edu/events/event-3799.html

DANCE CLASSES

   BEGINNER BALLROOM
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 12:30-2:00 p.m.
     (January 7-28: Foxtrot and Samba; February 4-25: Tango & Jive)
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: FOXTROT
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   INTERMEDIATE BALLROOM: SAMBA
     Sundays, January 7 to February 25, at 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   SCOTTISH COUNTRY
     Mondays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://scd.caltech.edu.

   BEGINNER HUSTLE
     Mondays, January 8 to February 26, at 8:30 to 10 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

   ADVANCED-BEGINNER ARGENTINE TANGO
     Thursdays, January 11 to March 8 (except January 25),
     at 9 to 11:30 p.m.
     Winnett lounge
     Details: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ballroom

CAMPUS TRAINING

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: DREAMWEAVER 8, LEVEL II (TWO SESSIONS)
   Tuesday, January 16, 8 a.m. to noon
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This class will teach how to work with Dreamweaver's advanced
     features for website creation. Attendees will each receive a course
     book and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving course work and samples
     on their own computers. The training will continue at 8 a.m. to noon
     on January 18.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: FRONTPAGE, LEVEL I (TWO SESSIONS)
   Tuesday, January 16, 1 to 5 p.m.
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This course will teach how to create new Webs, add and format text
     on Web pages, insert images, create and format tables, add links
     within a site, and more. Everyone who attends will receive a course
     book and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving work and course samples
     on their own computers. The training will continue at 1 to 5 p.m. on
     January 18.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: EXCEL 2003, LEVEL II (TWO SESSIONS)
   Wednesday, January 17, 8 a.m. to noon
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This course will teach how to streamline repetitive tasks by
     creating templates, sorting, and analyzing data, and effectively
     using spreadsheets. Everyone who attends will receive a course book
     and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving work and course samples to
     their own computers. The training will continue at 8:30 a.m. to noon
     on January 19.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   STAFF EDUCATION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP: TECHNIQUES FOR
   IDENTIFYING AND CORRECTING MISTAKES IN WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
   Wednesday, January 17, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
   Brown Gym classroom
     This one-day program is designed for staff members with jobs that
     require them to identify and correct errors in their writing or the
     writing of others. The class will teach techniques for proofreading and
     using proofreaders' marks, identifying common typographical and
     character errors, and finding and correcting errors in grammar,
     punctuation, and spelling.

   WOMEN'S CENTER WORKSHOP: "GLOMMING, HARASSMENT, AND STALKING"
   Wednesday, January 17, noon to 1 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     Gregg Henderson, chief of Caltech security, will present a talk
     entitled "Glomming, Harassment, and Stalking: What To Do if Things
     Go Wrong."
     Registration (required):
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=968152571372

   BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS TRAINING
   Wednesday, January 17, 3 to 4 p.m.
   Keith Spalding, Rm. 25 (basement)
     This course, designed for individuals who are exposed to blood or
     other potentially infectious agents, presents information on
     preventing exposure to bloodborne pathogens including hepatitis B
     and human immunodeficiency viruses.
     Registration (required):
     395-6727 or [email-masked]

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "THE WEB OF KNOWLEDGE"
   Thursday, January 18, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     This session will teach strategies for linking to full-text articles
     with SFX, navigating through scientific literature to discover the
     influence and impact of journal articles, exporting records directly
     into EndNote, and personalizing searches and citation alerts.
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

   SOFTWARE TRAINING: EXCEL 2003, LEVEL III (TWO SESSIONS)
   Wednesday, January 24, 8 a.m. to noon
   120 IMSS Building, 263 S. Chester
     This class will teach advanced topics in Excel, including
     collaborating with others, analyzing complex data, creating macros,
     PivotTables, and PivotCharts, and more. Attendees will each receive
     a course book and a 128-MB USB Flash drive for saving course samples
     to their own computers. The training will continue at 8 a.m. to noon
     on January 25.
    Information: http://cit.hr.caltech.edu/Education/course_descriptions.htm

   STAFF EDUCATION AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT PRESENTS "WALKING TALL"
   Wednesday, January 24, 9 a.m. to noon
   Winnett lounge
     Staff Education and Career Development will present a two-part
     series on personal branding and professional image. The second session
     will take place on January 31.For details, go to
     http://hr.caltech.edu/Education/courses/walkingtall_series.htm.

   RELATIONSHIP WORKSHOP: "MARS? VENUS? CULTURE AND RELATIONSHIPS"
   Wednesday, January 24, noon to 1 p.m.
   Center for Student Services, second floor common area
     Whether you and your partner are from different countries, different
     states, or different religions, differences in culture impact
     relationships. At this workshop, Athena Trentin will explore
     differences in communication styles and expectations, and discuss
     how to overcome culture clash.
     Registration (required):
     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=968152571372

   OFFICE ERGONOMICS TRAINING
   Wednesday, January 24, 3 to 4 p.m.
   118 Keith Spalding Building
     This course discusses ergonomic design of office environments.
     Emphasis will be placed on low-budget techniques for assisting
     computer users to alter their workstations to be more
     "user-friendly" environments.
     Reservations: 395-6727 or [email-masked]

   CALTECH LIBRARY SYSTEM PRESENTS "ELECTRONIC THESES AND DISSERTATIONS"
   Thursday, January 25, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
   Sherman Fairchild Library, multimedia conference room
     This workshop will provide a brief overview of techniques useful in
     the production and publication of Caltech electronic theses. The
     session will include tips on formatting, intellectual-property
     considerations, thesis submission, and availability issues (who can
     see it and when).
     Registration: http://library.caltech.edu/forms/cls-classes.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Caltech Weekly Update is brought to you by Caltech Public Relations.
For more news and events, visit Caltech Today at http://today.caltech.edu
and the Caltech Calendar at http://today.caltech.edu/calendar.

Comments about this update should be sent to [email-masked], or by 
campus mail to mail code 1-71.
-- 
***********************************************
You are receiving this via the Personnel Directory database.  If you 
prefer receiving memos on paper, please email [email-masked] 
or drop a note to Directory 1-71.