Subject: Senior Director for Academic Support and Planning in Student Affairs

From: Caltech Directory <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:02:59 -0800

To:	Caltech Community

From:	John Hall, Acting Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean 
of Students

I announce with mixed emotions that Dr. Miriam Feldblum will be 
leaving Caltech at the end of this academic year.  On July 1, 2007, 
Miriam will become the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of 
Students and Professor of Politics at Pomona College in Claremont, 
California.  While this position is a natural progression in Miriam's 
career and a wonderful opportunity for her, she will be greatly 
missed.

Miriam has given over 11 years of service to the Caltech community in 
a variety of roles.  Most notably she has served as Senior Director 
for Academic Support and Planning in Student Affairs since 2003, and 
as Special Assistant to President Baltimore from 2000 until Baltimore 
stepped down in August 2006.

Miriam currently supervises Athletics, Physical Education and 
Recreation, the Career Development Center, Fellowships Advising and 
Study Abroad, the Health and Counseling Centers, Performing and 
Creative Arts, and the Women's Center.  She also directs 
institutional research and assessment within Student Affairs, serves 
as the Student Affairs' liaison for the WASC accreditation process, 
is the Institute's Title IX officer, co-coordinates the Mellon Mays 
Fellowship program, and is the administrative liaison for the LGBTQ 
community and other campus groups.  In all these areas, Miriam has 
been successful in bringing together students, faculty, and staff.

As Special Assistant to President Baltimore, Miriam led and managed 
diversity initiatives on campus, including Caltech's current 
diversity grant from the Moore Foundation, on which she continues to 
serve as the PI.  In 2001, Miriam led an Institute-wide Task Force on 
Undergraduate Residential Life Initiatives, whose central 
recommendations for the restoration and reconstruction of the South 
Houses have come to fruition.  She has continued to be involved in 
planning for the proposed Campus Center.

Prior to her administrative positions, Miriam served as an Associate 
in External Relations and as Senior Research Associate in the 
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences.  Miriam is also a Faculty 
Associate and Lecturer in the Division, where she teaches courses on 
immigration and citizenship.

Let's all thank Miriam for her hard work and numerous contributions 
to the Caltech community, and wish her continued success at Pomona 
College.

-- 
***********************************************
You are receiving this via the Personnel Directory database.  If you 
prefer receiving memos on paper, please email [email-masked] 
or drop a note to Directory 1-71.