Subject: Pitt Connection - February

From: Pitt Alumni Association <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:21:46 -0500 (EST)

The Pitt Connection-a monthly newsletter of campus news about the
University of Pittsburgh-is brought to you through the support of
21,299 dues-paying members (including 4,766 life members) of the Pitt
Alumni Association. If you're not a member, join today.

Please send comments regarding this mail to [email-masked]

February 2007

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
ALUMNI NEWS
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PITT NAMES NEW ASSOCIATE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF ALUMNI ASSOCIATION 

After a national search, Pitt has selected Jeff Gleim, former
director of The Ohio State University Alumni Associations Advocates
Program, to be the associate executive director of the Pitt Alumni
Association.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=67

PITT TAKES MANHATTAN MARCH 7-10, 2007

Join us at the Big East for...

- Welcome Networking Reception and pregame events 
- 2007 Big East Tournament Alumni & Fan Extravaganza 
- Biggest ever Big East Career Fair 

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=64

MEDALISTS PARTNER WITH NEWYORK.COM TO CREATE SCHOLARSHIP

Three Pitt alumni Olympic medalists - Herbert Douglas (EDUC `48,
`50), Roger Kingdom (CGS `02), and John Woodruff (CAS `39) - have
partnered with NEWYORK.com to create a new scholarship fund for
deserving track and field athletes. By making all of your online
travel and entertainment purchases through NewYork.com, you'll be
contributing to this new University of Pittsburgh Scholarship.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=54

PITT AT YOUR FINGERTIPS

More than 70,000 pages of searchable text with hundreds of images
that visually depict some of the many people, buildings, and events
that comprise Pitt history.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=55

THE "A" IN MARK A. NORDENBERG

Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg's name is well-known to everyone. But
what does the "A" stand for? Find out in this month's PAA Interactive
Quiz! 

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=69

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
UNIVERSITY NEWS
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

PITT RANKED 4TH AMONG PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES...

....10th Among All U.S. Colleges and Universities with Endowments in
Excess of $1 Billion in The FY 2006 Percentage Increase in Its
Endowment. Pitt also listed as the eighth-largest endowment among
U.S. public institutions of higher education in a new report from the
National Association of College and University Business Officers.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=56

UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH AND HILL HOUSE ASSOCIATION TO COHOST WORLD
PREMIERE SCREENING OF FREEDOM HOUSE FEB. 15

Hour-long documentary is the story of Pittsburgh's Hill District
ambulance service; members were trained by Pitt physicians to become
the nation's first paramedics.  Screening presented in celebration of
Black History Month; marks the 40th anniversary of the founding of
Freedom House Ambulance Service.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=57

PENGUINS BEAT HEAT AT ZOO THANKS TO PITT

Wireless technology, touted for its potential to power cell phones
and hearing aids, currently is helping to ensure that penguins at the
Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium live in frosty comfort.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=58

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
RESEARCH
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

HAVE YOU EVER SOUGHT COMFORT FROM THE SMELL OF YOUR LOVED ONE'S
CLOTHING?

A Pitt researcher says you're not alone. With Valentine's Day
approaching, a University of Pittsburgh psychologist reminds us that
romantic thoughts can abound even when a couple is apart, if one
partner smells or sleeps with the clothing of the other.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=59

MEN WITH HIGH URIC ACID LEVELS FACE RISK OF DEVELOPING HYPERTENSION

Men with hyperuricemia, a condition involving the buildup of uric
acid in the blood, are at high risk of developing hypertension,
according to a University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine study.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=61

RISK OF PRETERM BIRTH APPEARS TO VARY BY SEASON

Women who conceive in spring are most vulnerable.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=62

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ATHLETICS
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

PITT RECOGNIZES A SCHOOL-RECORD 311 SCHOLAR-ATHLETES

On February 1, 311 scholar-athletes were recognized at Pitt's annual
Scholar Athlete Awards Breakfast sponsored by the Pitt Alumni
Association. Pitt's student athletes were honored for breaking
several school records - 311 student-athletes with a 3.0 GPA or
better, 23 student-athletes with a 4.0 GPA and 124 Big East Academic
All-Stars.

FIRST-CLASS CLASS

For the second consecutive year, Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt and his
staff have signed a recruiting class considered to be among the
nation's 
finest. On February 7th, Coach Wannstedt welcomed Pitt's 2007 class
by receiving National Letters of Intent from 25 players. The Panthers
are 
enjoying their strongest back-to-back recruiting years since the late
1980s.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=65

PITT FOOTBALL 2007

Reserve your seats now for another exciting 7 home game season of
Panthers Football! Renew your seats online by April 27th and receive
a $10 discount! For information about our "1st and 10" or "7 in '07"
new season ticket packages, please visit
http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/tickets/pitt-tickets-m-footbl07.html
or call the Panthers Ticket Office at 1-800-643-PITT (7488)

http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/tickets/pitt-tickets-m-footbl07.html

PANTHERS ALL ACCESS

The Panther Club serves as the fundraising arm for Pitt Athletics. By
contributing a minimum of $100 annually to our Athletic Scholarship
Fund, you become an active member in the Panther Club. A Panther Club
member's contribution to the Athletic Scholarship Fund directly
supports the annual academic and athletic development of Pitt
student-athletes. Not only does it provide them with an outstanding
education, it also provides the 

opportunity to compete athletically at the highest levels. Join today
by calling 412.648.8889.

2007 WOMEN'S NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP

Coming Soon! The University of Pittsburgh is the proud host of the
2007 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship 1st & 2nd Rounds on March
18 and 20. Tickets are on sale - six Championship Games for $20 for
Youth and $35 for Adults.

http://www.alumni.pitt.edu/pc/?l=66

THE HOME-COURT ADVANTAGE 

Basketball at the University of Pittsburgh is generating
unprecedented excitement and success. The men's team has been a
fixture in the nation's Top 10 this year, while the women's team
earned their first national ranking ever. With the victories
continuing to pile up, Pitt's Petersen Events Center has solidified
its reputation as one of the finest home-court advantages in all of
college basketball. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
SCHOOL & COLLEGE ALUMNI SITES
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
 
College of Arts & Sciences
http://www.fcas.pitt.edu/development.html
 
College of Business Administration
http://www.cba.pitt.edu/alumni.html
 
School of Dental Medicine
http://www.dental.pitt.edu/alumni/
 
School of Education
http://www.education.pitt.edu/alumni/
 
School of Engineering
http://www.engr.pitt.edu/alumni/
 
College of General Studies
http://www.solutions.pitt.edu/
 
School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences
http://www.shrs.pitt.edu/alumni/
 
University Honors College
http://www.honorscollege.pitt.edu/

School of Information Sciences
http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/people/alumni.html
 
Katz Graduate School of Business
http://www.katz.pitt.edu/alumni.html
 
School of Law
http://www.law.pitt.edu/alumni/
 
School of Medicine
http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/alumni/
 
School of Nursing
http://www.pitt.edu/~nursing/alumni_friends.html
 
School of Pharmacy
http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu/alumni/default.html
 
Graduate School of Public and International Affairs
http://www.gspia.pitt.edu/AlumniAndCareerPlanning/

Graduate School of Public Health 
http://www.publichealth.pitt.edu/alumni/

School of Social Work
http://www.pitt.edu/~pittssw/alumni.html
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
REGIONAL CAMPUS SITES
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
 
Pitt-Bradford
http://www.upb.pitt.edu/alumni.aspx
 
Pitt-Greensburg
http://www.upg.pitt.edu/
 
Pitt-Johnstown 
http://www.upj.pitt.edu/internet/Templates/Inner.aspx?durki=287&pid=287

Pitt-Titusville
http://www.upt.pitt.edu/upt_main/
 
This e-mail was sent via the Pitt Alumni Association, 140 Alumni
Hall, 4227 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15260 -- 1-800-ALU-PITT 

============================================================
This message is being sent to you because of your affiliation 
with the Pitt Alumni Association On-Line Community at URL http://www.alumniconnections.com/pitt/.
============================================================

============================================================

Unsubscribe from alumni association e-mail, click below.

http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/UPT/blastmailopt/blastmailopt.cgi?FNC=WELCOME__Awelcome_html___BR___2821493___UPT-20070213105221___RdIBeOhWRn5vtk68haf9cugTwd4

============================================================ 

Pitt Alumni Association
140 Alumni Hall
4227 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
USA